Sunday, January 7, 2007

The Story So Far...

So over the last few months, I've been downloading as much metaphyiscal/religious/spiritual texts as I can. The following is what I've read since this past Decemeber that got me down this path:



The Artist's Way

The War of Art

The "Conversations With God" series

The Bhagavad Gita (sp?)

The Dhammapada

The Upanishads

The Last Temptation of Christ

The Holy Bible

Living Buddha, Living Christ

Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind

The Hero of a Thousand Faces

The Way of the Peaceful Warrior

That's all that's coming to mind so far. These are all good books. Right now, I'm going through a huge shift and finding myself increasingly interested in gnosticism ("gnosis" comes from the Greek, which means "knowledge"). The principle is, in my understanding, synonymous with enlightenment.

I've realized that I'm very much attached to symbols, and though, hopefully, one day I will see the need to know longer use them, they serve a useful purpose presently. So I've decided to return to Christian symbols, but not to orthodox Christianity. I'm very much interested in the Elaine Pagel's writings, the Gnostic scriptures and mysticism. Part of me is terrified of exploring this stuff, because my past learning focus heavily on the Christian path being the only path and anything else being of the devil, which is utter hogwash, but fear has a funny way of sticking with you. Either way, I'm pressing forward, with my heart open before the Self, asking for guidance as I go along, while reciting Psalm 23:

The "I AM" is my sheperd
I shall not want
He makes me lie down in green pastures
He leads me to still waters
He restores my soul
He leads me to the path of righteous for his name's sake

Yea, though I may walk through the valley of the shadow of death
You are with me
Your rod and your staff
They comfort
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies
My cup runs over
Sure goodness and mercy
Shall follow me all the days of my life
And I shall dwell in the house of the "I AM"
forever.

Amen.

Ever notice how "amen" is so simiar to "aum," the most holy of utterances in Hinduism?

No comments: