Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Relative Truth?

People argue this point all the time. That truth is a subjective notion, that there is no such thing as an absolute.

Yet, by uttering the statement, "Truth is subjective" haven't I just uttered an ABSOLUTE concerning the nature of truth? Haven't I basically said, "Without exception, truth is ALWAYS changing, depending on the beholder." Which makes one wonder how what we call "truth" can actually BE truth, if truth, by its very nature, is that which does not change (otherwise, how could it be the truth?). I'll sooner say "truth does not exist" before I'll say it's "relative."

However, I will say that our PERCEPTIONS of truth are relative. And it is for this reason that we must be careful in declaring what we "know to be true" and what we "know not to be." It has been said over and over again by wiser folks than I that it behooves us to examine what we, as human beings, have in common amongst our differences. It will be those things that guide us down the path towards better understanding.

I believe in absolute truth. There are certain things that just ARE, whether I want them to be true or not. But the scope of this truth is very small. Everything else is colored by my perception, my memories, my current belief system--which are all tools through which I can access the truth.

LOVE and FEAR. Those are absolute truths as I see it. Love and fear is something that we all have experienced deeply in one form or another. They are the most universal aspects of the human condition, as far as I can tell.

The choices we make in life are either rooted in love or rooted in fear. Everything else is just decoration.

No comments: