Thursday, January 25, 2007

Enlightenment Can Be Yours...for just $19.95!!!

I was in the bookstore the other day, trying to find some writings by William Godwin--I've taken an interest an anarchist writings, and thought that might be a good place to start. Anyways, they had nothing, but I did take a look over at the "Religion" and "New Age" section of the book store. I started browsing through the titles--each author had their own take on "enlightenment" and how to get there, espousing various doctrines and I swear to you, I SWEAR I saw a title that said "Enlightenment in 30 Days!"

I wanted to grab the bookshelf and topple the whole thing. I wanted to grab each and every book and toss it out of the room. I wanted to scream, "Divinity is our birthright! It's not a commodity!"

Perhaps I'm being unfair. But when I see these authors who have written book after book of spiritual material--a lot of which repeats the same concepts over and over--just in different ways--and who go on and on about transcending the ego and not being concerned about personal gain, yet their names and faces and resumes and accomplishments are plastered all over each book, I feel like something is getting lost.

No comments: