Tuesday, March 6, 2007

"Stranger in a Strangeland" and the nature of God

Just finished reading Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strangeland. I read it when I was in high school and thought, "Meh..." This time, I thoroughly enjoyed every page. It spoke so much to where I'm at right now. I've started using "grok" in my sentences (such a great word), and the mantra, "Thou art God" has become a personal favorite.

Here's a great quote from the book, as spoken by one of the characters who is a Muslim:

"...I am still God's slave, submissive to His will...and nevertheless can say: 'Thou art God, I am God, all that groks is God.' The Prophet never asserted that he was the last of all prophets nor did he claim to have said all there was to say. Submission to God's will is not to be a robot, incapable of choice, and thus of sin. Submission can include--does include--utter responsibility for the fashion in which I, and each of us, shape the universe. It is ours to turn into a heavenly garden...or to rend and destroy...'with God all things are possible,' if I may borrow--except the Impossible. God cannot escape Himself, he cannot abdicate His own total responsibility--He forever must remain submissive to His own will. Islam remains--He cannot pass the buck. It is His--mine...yours..."

Perhaps we sometimes DON'T want to be responsible for our own actions. Perhaps it's easier to think that there is someone showing us the way, something external to us that knows more than we do and who'll bail us out when we get into trouble.

But for me, that God is becoming a distant dream. God, to me, is not so much a divine being, but a divine principle. It is the Force by which everything moves. It is the... I AM-NESS. It is the unspeakable, the unknowable, for even the power by which we speak and know comes from It, and in that sense, yes, we ARE the children of God.

We make our own destiny. Nobody is up there, showing us the way. We ARE the Way, the Truth and the Life. We are the goal that St. Paul was running for, the heavenly prize. Praise be to God, means praise be to all of us and everything that ever was, is, and shall be.

The true challenge of living on this planet, I believe, is found in recognizing that our conception of God as a being is a product of our own mind, a projecting of ourselves. Inside that place called the mind is the Source, where all thought springs from. Our identity lies in the Source, the silent watcher. When we are in this place...this is when we have for a moment found enlightenment, been granted gnosis, achieved yoga, become God.

The next challenge is, upon arriving there, not leaving it ever again.

No comments: