Saturday, February 3, 2007

Wave of the Mind

It is astonishing how easy it is to reconnect with God. I feel Her mind in my own, and each time I touch Her, I forget myself, my worries, my concerns.

Each time I touch God, I realize that I'm not so much touching God, but I'm allowing the Son of God within me to express itself. Less and less I think of God as something coming in, but rather of something being let OUT.

My meditation session today taught me something extremely valuable. I've always put heavy emphasis on clearing the mind, stilling the mind. I see now that this is impossible. The mind cannot be still; NOTHING in the universe is still. Everything is in motion, and the mind is no different. It is more like what the Zen master Shunryu Suzuki said. The mind is like an ocean, its waves rippling every now and then, and that we need simply ride the waves.

I love this thought. The energy within the mind is constantly moving, constantly fluctuating. Giving into this calm movement is bliss. My smile grows wider. Sometimes I even burst out into laughter, for absolutely no reason. Such joy! Such inexpressible joy. Then my ego rises up and says, "Have you gone mad?"

"Perhaps," I think to myself. "But if this is madness, then I want nothing to do with sanity."

Yesterday, I was waiting in line at a food stand, and I saw smoke rising from the grill, swirling into different shapes and dissipating into the air. I became transfixed. "That is karma," I thought. "Action and re-action. All around us is karma at work."

So now, as I watch my mind mind rippling, I think, "My mind is the acting out of karma as well." I wonder if I observe it long enough, I may begin to be able to use my "will" to direct the flow of energy within my mind, finally uniting my soul (yin) and my spirit (yang).

No comments: